Categories: Business

The goal removes buying and selling playing cards from shops after a violent incident with a gun

Notice of trading cards in a Target store in Edgewater, NJ.

Sarah Whitten | CNBC

Retail giant Target announced Friday that it was temporarily taking trading cards off shelves after one of its Wisconsin stores closed over a violent card dispute.

Items that will be removed include MLB, NFL, NBA, and Pokemon trading cards. Buyers can still purchase the cards online from Target’s website.

Retailers saw a surge in demand for trading cards during the pandemic, with the resale value of these cards being many times what consumers originally paid for.

The Brookfield, Wisconsin, dispute involved four men who allegedly attacked a fifth in the parking lot when he was leaving the store earlier this month. The victim, who has a concealed carry permit, drew his gun during the incident and ordered his attackers to run away. No shots were fired and all four were arrested, according to a WISN report.

Target’s decision is a precautionary measure, the company said.

“The safety of our guests and our team is our top priority. As a precaution, we have decided to temporarily suspend the sale of MLB, NFL, NBA and Pokemon trading cards in our stores with effect from May 14th.” A. spokesman for Target said in a statement.

Pokémon Company International, which manages the brand and goods, said in a statement that demand and shipping restrictions are affecting the availability of Pokémon card products.

“We trust our retail partners to make the best decisions for their businesses and employees. We work closely with them to ensure customers and fans have access to increased supply in the near future,” said The Pokémon Company.

Other brands of trading cards like Hasbro’s “Magic: The Gathering” are still on the shelves.

Despite a surge in demand, rival Walmart said it hadn’t planned any similar moves at the time.

“We have not suspended trading card sales. As with other retailers, we have seen increased customer demand and are looking into what changes, if any, may be needed to meet customer demand while ensuring a safe and enjoyable shopping experience.” Walmart spokeswoman said in a statement.

Jimmy Page

MV Telegraph Writer Jimmy Page has been writing for all these 37 years.

Recent Posts

Why Multifamily Properties Are a Smart Play for Real Estate Investors in 2026

Picture this: a bustling apartment complex filled with tenants who reliably pay rent every month.…

2 months ago

Metformin for Longevity: Understanding Its Anti-Aging Potential

Metformin has been used for decades. Not as a wellness trend. Not as a supplement…

2 months ago

Ashton Kutcher returns to appearing in The Magnificence

Ashton Kutcher does not bother anyone with this beauty treatment. At least the company doesn't.…

2 months ago

First GLP-1 anti-obesity capsule from Novo Nordisk launches within the US

The logo of pharmaceutical company Novo Nordisk is seen outside its offices in Bagsvaerd on…

2 months ago

The petty and infantile purpose Trump will not permit Machado to steer Venezuela

Donald Trump is by far the pettiest president in US history. He never forgets an…

2 months ago

Protection Shares Rise; The US assault on Venezuela heralds the period of “laborious energy”.

Defense stocks in Europe and Asia rose sharply on Monday as investors gauged that the…

2 months ago

This website uses cookies.