US News & World Report released its 13th annual ranking of the best hotels for travelers this week.
The ranking, released on Tuesday, is based on three factors: the number of travel industry awards, a hotel’s star rating and guest ratings from the travel website Tripadvisor.
According to the press release, more weight was given to recipients of “very selective” awards, as well as those with more travel reviews. This makes it harder for new hotels to break into the top tier of the annual list.
The report only ranks “luxury” hotels and resorts, which US News defines as those that consistently average 4- to 5-star ratings, although it now includes select 3.5-star hotels, the company said .
According to the announcement, hotels must also have at least 20 rooms to be considered.
The best hotels in the USA
These are the top rated hotels in the USA:
- Acqualina Resort & Residences – Miami, Florida
- The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician, a Luxury Collection Resort – Scottsdale, Arizona
- Pendry West Hollywood – Los Angeles, California
- The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort – Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- The Inn & Club at Harbor Town, Sea Pines Resort – Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
Acqualina Resort & Residences in Miami took first place in the United States for the first time. It features three pools, ocean views, and an award-winning spa.
US News also published additional hotel rankings searchable by state or city.
For example, travelers can search for the best hotels in California or explore hotel rankings in 46 different cities and locations, including La Jolla, Disneyland and Napa Valley.
You can then filter hotels by star rating, price, and amenities.
The best hotels in Europe
These are the top rated hotels in Europe:
- Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam — Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Grand Hotel Tremezzo — Tremezzo, Italy
- La Reserve Paris Hotel and Spa — Paris, France
- The Goring – London, United Kingdom
- The Connaught – London, United Kingdom
Last year’s #1 hotel, Le Bristol Paris, came in at #6 this year.
The Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam took first place in Europe for the first time. Consisting of six canal-side mansions, it houses a two-Michelin-star restaurant specializing in vegetarian cuisine.
The Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Amsterdam consists of six interconnected buildings next to the Herengracht.
Sebastian Kroes | moment open | Getty Images
Europe’s second largest hotel, the Grand Hotel Tremezzo overlooks Italy’s famous Lake Como.
The US News & World Ranking also lists hotels in 39 European countries, from Albania to Wales.
Similar to the US rankings, visitors can narrow down this ranking by “popular regions” such as Capri, Cinque Terre and Venice in Italy.
The best hotels in the Caribbean
These are the top rated hotels in the Caribbean:
- Cap Juluca, a Belmond Hotel, Anguilla – Maundays Bay, Anguilla
- Jumby Bay Island, Oetker Collection — Jumby Bay Island, Antigua
- Jade Mountain Resort – Soufriere, St. Lucia
- Cheval Blanc St-Barth Island France — Saint Barthélemy
- Tortuga Bay Puntacana Resort & Club – Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
The Caribbean’s premier hotel, Cap Juluca features domed villas with ocean views and direct beach access.
Views of St. Lucia’s Pitons Mountains from Jade Mountain Resort, named 3rd Best Hotel in the Caribbean by US News & World Report in 2023.
Thomas wing | E+ | Getty Images
Hotel #2, Antigua’s Jumby Bay Island offers snorkeling expeditions and kayak tours for guests.
The US News & World Report also released new rankings for Canada, Mexico and Bermuda.
Separately, all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico are also listed, each topped by Jumby Bay Island, Oetker Collection, and Grand Velas Los Cabos.