Los Angeles Dodgers starting pitcher Trevor Bauer (27) reacts in the sixth inning of the MLB game between the San Francisco Giants and the Los Angeles Dodgers on June 28, 2021 at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, California.
Kiyoshi Mio | Sportswire icon | Getty Images
Major League Baseball extended the Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer’s administrative vacation Thursday for at least another seven days as police continue investigating allegations that he sexually assaulted a woman in California.
The move comes as Bauer’s merchandise was removed from sale on the official website of the Major League Baseball brand owned by e-commerce company Fanatics and from the Dodgers’ online store.
The 30-year-old pitcher, who denies wrongdoing, was put on seven-day administrative leave last Friday due to the investigation after the Dodgers insisted he would stay on their pitching rotation despite the woman’s shocking claims.
“With the consent of the Players Association, MLB has extended Trevor Bauer’s administrative leave of absence by a further 7 days with effect from tomorrow,” said a statement from MLB.
“The MLB’s investigation continues,” it said.
Bauer, who is one of the highest-paid players in baseball, gets paid while on vacation, but is not allowed to play. He has not been charged with any criminal offense.
The Dodgers did not want to comment on the announcement. On Wednesday, the team canceled Bauer’s wobbly night planned for August 19.
Bauer’s agents Jon Fetterolf and Rachel Luba said in a statement: “We continue to refuteWe [the woman’s] Allegations in the strongest possible terms, and Mr. Bauer vehemently denies their report on their two meetings. “
“Again, the administrative leave is not a disciplinary measure, nor does it in any way reflect a result of the league’s investigation,” the agents said.
USA Today reported last week that a Pasadena police lieutenant overseeing the criminal investigation said shortly before Bauer’s first administrative leave the investigation was “bigger than we thought”.
“We looked into some things and thought we were nearing the end,” said Lt. Carolyn Gordon told USA Today. “We’re not finished yet.”
Bauer won the 2020 National League Cy Young Award after pitching for the Cincinnati Reds.
He joined World Series Champion Dodgers that year and signed a three-year deal that could ultimately gross him $ 102 million.
Bauer’s departure was announced the same day President Joe Biden hosted the Dodgers in honor of their streak win at the White House.
Read more about CNBC’s political coverage:
His prosecutor recently said in a motion for an injunction against Bauer that he choked her to unconsciousness in two sexual encounters this spring. She also alleged that he repeatedly slapped her face and genitals during an encounter, injuring her so badly that she was hospitalized.
She also claims he committed sexual behavior that she did not consent to during one of the encounters.
Bauer’s agent Fetterolf said in a statement to CNBC last week: “Mr. Bauer had a brief and fully consensual sexual relationship that was conducted by [the woman] from April 2021. We have news that shows [the woman] repeatedly asked for ‘rough’ sexual encounters, with the request to be ‘suffocated’ and slapped in the face. “
Former Dodgers pitcher Dave Stewart told the team this week that he won’t be attending a celebration to mark the 40th anniversary of their 1981 World Series win because they didn’t bench Bauer until MLB took action.
“The organization is not what it was when we got through,” Stewart told USA Today. “The Dodgers organization I grew up in with the O’Malley family would never take it. The Dodgers should have intervened in this situation, and they didn’t. You have to have character standards. “
“I told them, ‘I can’t appear for this,'” he said.
Correction: This story has been updated to correctly spell Jon Fetterolf’s name.