Meghan Markle wins one other authorized victory in opposition to the British tabloid

Meghan Markle won another win over a British tabloid after filing a lawsuit over publishing excerpts from a private letter she wrote to her estranged father.

On Wednesday May 6, a London High Court judge issued a summary judgment in favor of the Duchess of Sussex on an open question over who owns the copyright to the five-page handwritten letter.

The Mail on Sunday published parts of it in February 2019. The letter was provided by Meghan’s father, Thomas Markle. She wrote it in August 2018, two months after her and Prince HarryWedding he did not attend due to illness. Thomas had told British tabloid The Sun, which was not part of the lawsuit, that the last time he spoke on the phone was shortly after the wedding with his daughter.

In the fall of 2019, the Duchess sued the newspaper’s editor, Associated Newspapers Limited, for publishing the extracts from letters for damages for misuse of private information, copyright infringement, and breach of the 2018 Data Protection Act. She won most of her lawsuit after February. The High Court judge issued a summary judgment in Meghan’s favor in favor of her claim of misuse of private information, saying the Duchess had “a reasonable expectation that the contents of the letter would remain private”.

In March, the High Court ordered ANL to pay Meghan 90% of her estimated legal fees of $ 1.88 million. As an interim payment, she received £ 450,000 (US $ 625,000). In his most recent ruling, the judge asked the publisher to pay the remaining 10% of their estimated legal costs.

You might also like

Comments are closed.