Bruce Springsteen pleads responsible of public ingesting, prosecutor drops DWI fees

Bruce Springsteen performs at a sound check at the Perth Arena in Perth, Australia.

Will Russell | Getty Images

A federal attorney on Wednesday dropped charges of drunk and reckless driving against rock legend Bruce Springsteen.

But the musician pleaded guilty to drinking alcohol in a national park late last year, NBC News reported.

After the drunk driving charges were dropped, Jeep told CNBC that it was pausing a Super Bowl commercial he did with Springsteen: “Now that this is resolved, we’re pausing the movie.”

News of the incident caused Jeep to “pause” the commercial “until the facts can be ascertained.”

The 71-year-old Springsteen was arrested in New Jersey’s Gateway National Recreation Area, also known as Sandy Hook, in November, the US Department of the Interior said earlier this month.

The arrest was made a few minutes from Springsteen’s house in Colts Neck.

“I had two small shots of tequila,” Springsteen told a federal judge in a virtual trial on Wednesday morning, according to local Jersey outlet The Daily Journal.

The drunk driving and reckless driving charges were dropped after prosecutors said they did not believe they could bear their burden of proof. Springsteen’s poisoning levels were reportedly 0.02 at the time, well below the legal limit, NBC reported.

After commenting on the lack of any violations of Springsteen’s driving report, the federal judge fined him $ 540.

“I think I can pay for this right now, Your Honor,” Springsteen said at the NBC hearing.

Meanwhile, former President Barack Obama announced this week that he and Springsteen are jointly launching a podcast entitled “Renegades: Born in the USA.”

Spotify released the first two episodes of the podcast on Monday, in which the 44th President and the all-star musician discuss a range of topics from Springsteen’s New Jersey home.

– CNBC’s Megan Graham contributed to this report.

Comments are closed.